Saturday, June 16, 2012

Life Lessons from the Garden - Part 2



The next installment in my blog series: 

"Sweet Surprises and Life Lessons ... 
Found in the Garden"

As I watched the garden grow and change with the seasons, it seemed to speak to me. Various flowers offered wisdom, sage lessons on life, and I began to write them down so I would not forget their whisperings when the seasons turned once again. I am delighted to share some of their lessons with you and hope they inspire you as they have me ...

Irises: Lavender and deep purple blossoms with tall sturdy stalks reach to the sky and dominate the terrain. They are majestic and strong, shouting their presence to the cosmos. “We’re here. Enjoy us while we last,” they seem to say. So I cut bouquet after bouquet and fill each room of the house with their old-fashioned charm. Within days, those I didn’t cut begin to bough under the weight of their height and bend forward to touch their crowns upon the soil - going, going gone...


Lesson: When it is time to be done, let go and do it gracefully. There is no need to struggle or hold on tight. Bow down, flow, the  next phase of our lives is calling us and there is dignity in surrender. Future growth awaits. Who knows what we shall become next?



Poppies: I awake one July morning to find a riot of red dancing to balmy breezes in my garden. Poppies! Who would have thought? I wondered what those bulbous, extraterrestrial looking things were. They’ve popped in pleasure and loudly shout “Hello there, sweetheart. Wanna play?” They are happy, so happy, announcing their birth today to their nursery mates.

Lesson: When you least expect it, amazement awaits, a great gift from the Universe to let you know that just when you thought you had it all figured out, you didn’t. Surprise! The joke is on you. Be receptive to wonder. Celebrate life. Sing, play, shout your joy to the world. Have fun. Life is too short not to.

To be continued ...


In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.  
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.  
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.  
~Abram L. Urban

No comments: