I was visiting some of my fave blogs yesterday and was delighted to re-discover something I'd pretty much forgotten.
At Twila's (Twi Chi—Book Floozy—a fabulous blog for women seekers), she reminded me about Joan Anderson's books (which I loved!) and her list of the "10 Phases of a Woman's Life." This was wonderful to read again.
Now, I'd read something similar years ago in Joan Borysenko's landmark book, The Woman's Book of Life. Though, Dr. Joan claims that women develop and thrive in 7-year cycles. You may recall that Joan is one of the 12 Holy Women in Your Truest Self. She represents the tenth Transformational Truth: "I Trust the Divine Timing of My Own Unfolding.
With Twila's permission, I am re-posting the list she shared. Consider this:
* 0-7 childlike wonder
* 7-14 the beginning of hormonal activity
* 14-21 unfurling sexuality
* 21-28 being affirmed by a man-the desire to procreate
* 28-35 birthing, mothering, caretaking, putting others first
* 35-42 leaving self out but occasionally looking beyond
* 42-49 menopause approaching – is this all? a desire for self-love
* 49-56 birthing of a mature psyche – a desire to go away, live without rules and become more instinctive
* 56-63 choosing one’s true purpose, work, vocation, finding one’s individual reason for being beyond the roles
* 63-70 reflection – becoming the watchwoman, recasting all that one has learned, being whatever one has become
Truly, I had to laugh out loud when I read this because this list fits me to a T! All the phases fit, including the most recent ...
At exactly age 49, everything shifted in me and I found myself going inward, becoming hermitlike, wanting only to nurture myself body, mind and spirit (and to create from that place.)
This past summer I turned 56, and there was another big shift. I settled into my true vocation (spiritual mentoring), let go of the roles I'd previously aligned myself with (especially those that felt inauthentic), and felt more fire and passion come into my life than ever before.
How about you? Does this list bear out your experience?
If so, where do you find yourself? If not, why, and where are you?
Just a note: The "Women on the Edge of Evolution" —a free online teleconference series with visionary women—continues and I must say this. If you are a woman who cares deeply about the planet and our future as human beings you absolutely MUST take a listen. They are now being archived, so you can listen to them any time you want. (Click here.) I just listened to Barbara Marx Hubbard (who is 80 and so very wise!), and am still reeling with excitement about what I learned. Wow! I hope to post on this soon.
There's still time to sign up or learn more. Go here.
And guess what?! This has become the largest gathering women EVER on the planet. More than over 25,000 women are engaged in this. I hope you will join us!
P.S. I just learned my book, Your Truest Self, is now available on Kindle for $9.99. Just in time for the approaching holidays. Hooray!
(Image courtesy of http://www.women.qld.gov.au)