Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Opening Our Heart



Until I decide I won't, I am penning, these blog posts in support of my ongoing sacred journey course,“Creating a Life of Contentment,"  which began Sept. 15. For one entire year, we'll be traveling together as intimate companions: to relax, let go and rest into Love; to discover the bliss of our own life. I hope you will join me here! You can learn more about the program here. 




Opening Our Heart

Sometimes Contentment is just one good stretch away.

I have a favorite practice I'd like to share with you. I use it when I am feeling cranky or sluggish. It's quite energizing.

But mostly I use it—truth be told— if I am beginning to feel a bit closed down. Like a flower that closes its petals at nightfall, for whatever reason, my heart has decided to close in upon itself. 

This "stretch" is a tried and true heart opener and it works wonders when you are feeling not only less than warm toward others, but less kindly to yourself. 

When we think of compassion or love, our thoughts naturally turn toward others. But it is oh, so easy to forget that we are deserving of loving-kindness too.  

So when was the last time you specifically opened your heart to yourself? Do you have a way to do that when you are feeling harsh or judgmental, disappointed in yourself?

Here's my best advice:

Stop what you are doing, stand up, and go outside. 

Stretch your arms out to your sides as if you were an airplane. 

Breathing slowly and evenly, gently arch your body back as if there were an imaginary string connecting your heart to the sky. 

Stay in this position for a minute or two, continuing to gently breathe in and out, for as long as you need to feel relief.

You may want to add a heart-opening mantra like one of these:
 
I am loved, lovable and loving.

I am a good person and basic goodness is my true nature.

I am enough.

Contentment arrives on the wings of self-acceptance.  

Today, spread your wing-arms wide and allow the sky to embrace you as you are. 

You are enough.


No comments: