Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Counting Down to Contentment ~ Day 2



 Loving ourselves and life from where we are 


I’m counting down to contentment — to the starting date of my new sacred journey course,Creating a Life of Contentment,"  which begins Sept. 15. For one entire year we will travel together as intimate companions: to relax, let go and rest into Love; to discover the bliss of our own life. I hope you will join me! You can learn all about it here. 

The Light of Day

I’ve never been an early riser. I’ve disliked getting up early for most of my life. Too many 6:30 a.m. walks to the bus—either for myself as a teen or for my own children. You will never catch me scheduling an early morning flight to get to the airport by 5:00. Never.

These days empty nesting has its benefits, one of which is getting up when I want to on most days. 8:00 is my “just right” Goldilocks time.

Though things have changed recently.

My husband has to get up for work (new job) at 5:45. ‘Eeek,’ says the pampered girl who is used to her own pace in the morning, content with languishing a bit.

I balked at first but then decided it would be more comfortable to accept the” invitation.”

Everything new in life offers us an invitation. I know this as well as I know my own face in the mirror. It’s a fact of life, so why resist?

The invitation never fails to turn up something marvelous. Like how we resist and struggle when we don’t get our way. Or how tangled up we are in likes and dislikes. How we're inclined to have things be just so to be happy—or so we think.

Early mornings have brought powerful invitations and unexpected benefits. In fact, I discovered something quite wonderful about the early morning ... and myself.

When it is still quite dark outside I like the look and feel of dawn breaking, ever so slowly. Rising, parting, like a curtain upon a stage. I especially like to watch how subtle forms emerge from the shadows.

One moment everything is dark and then I spy a wee presence of light. White crests of waves. White fronds on the butterfly bush. A part in the clouds. A glimmer of delicate gold or pink in the sky. Against a black backdrop these are stunning to behold.

The veil of darkness lifts and presents subtle gifts ... gifts that surprise and delight.

And as it does, I find Contentment is mine once again.

Having always been a sunset sort of gal, I’m delighted to learn that sunrises can be equally satisfying. I’ll gladly take a helping of morning Contentment, thank you.

∞ ∞ ∞ ∞ ∞

All moments are key moments, and life itself is a grace.
~ Frederick Buechner




Will you join me for the "Creating a Life of Contentment" course beginning soon? 2 days and counting to the sacred journey of a lifetime!





2 comments:

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Everything new in life offers an invitation - so well said! For many of us, there's a tendency to resist change. As you know, a fave quote of mine is "Receive what you are given." Embrace it, explore it, find the miracle, the goodness, the beauty, just as you've done with early mornings. There's a serenity in those early hours, as the darkness slowly recedes and dawn replaces the shadows.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I love the morning. Watching the day begin. Being alone you might think I would sleep in. Never..
I am up by 4:30 but usually ready for night at 7:00. Prayer, meditation and asleep by 9:00.
I love my schedule.